trinetizen

on social media, journalism, tech, design and other stuff

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi. I'm a former journalist and Malaysian correspondent to CNet, ZDnet, Newsbytes (Washington Post-Newsweek Interactive wire agency), Nikkei Electronics Asia and AsiaBizTech.com. I also previously contributed to The Star, The Edge, The New Straits Times, The New Zealand Herald and various magazines. Currently, I train and advise managers and executives on strategies to optimize their use of social media and online channels to reach customers. My company, Trinetizen Media, runs media training workshops on social media, media relations, investor relations, corporate blogging,multimedia marketing, online advertising, multimedia journalism and crisis communications. You can connect with me on Facebook , LinkedIn, Twitter or Google+.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Ellison: I want my own OS


What else do you need when you're a software billionaire on an acquiring binge that shows no let up?

Oracle's Ellison says he considered buying Novell for Suse Linux.

"I'd like to have a complete stack. We're missing an operating system. You could argue that it makes a lot of sense for us to look at distributing and supporting Linux," he said in an interview with the UK-based Financial Times.

Ellison also said that Red Hat poses a different kind of threat now the company has acquired JBoss. "Now that Red Hat… competes with us in middleware, we have to re-look at the relationship -- so does IBM...I don't think Oracle and IBM want another Microsoft in Red Hat," Ellison said.

MORE.

Meanwhile Symantec CEO Thompson "joked" that he wants his own monopoly: "I want the technology that gives me a monopoly like Microsoft's. But I'd be a much gentler monopoly."

Thompson said he "sleeps like a baby" despite Microsoft's moves into the security space, branding it a "Johnny Come-Lately whose talk is yet to be backed up by any action."

"Microsoft has to build a track record and credibility which is sorely lacking. I only worry about what I can control. I can't control what company A or company B is doing whether it's Microsoft or whoever," said Thompson.

He added that Symantec stopped being an anti-virus firm six years ago and with the Veritas buy in 2004 competes with the likes of big boys CA, Microsoft and Oracle not just the anti-virus guys.

"We are in the protection business. Not like Tony Soprano... but we see a need to move the protection closer to the data."

MORE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home