trinetizen

on social media, journalism, tech, design and other stuff

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi. I'm a former journalist and Malaysian correspondent to CNet, ZDnet, Newsbytes (Washington Post-Newsweek Interactive wire agency), Nikkei Electronics Asia and AsiaBizTech.com. I also previously contributed to The Star, The Edge, The New Straits Times, The New Zealand Herald and various magazines. Currently, I train and advise managers and executives on strategies to optimize their use of social media and online channels to reach customers. My company, Trinetizen Media, runs media training workshops on social media, media relations, investor relations, corporate blogging,multimedia marketing, online advertising, multimedia journalism and crisis communications. You can connect with me on Facebook , LinkedIn, Twitter or Google+.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

How the Zappos CEO made my day

I was planning to share a case study on online retailer Zappos with the participants in the Corporate Social Media workshop we're conducting tomorrow.

In my research, found an interview of Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh and Loic Le Meur in a bathroom, in which he says he would be happy to send a free copy of the Zappos Culture Book to anyone upon request.

Wrote to Tony late Wednesday night and received this reply from one Dylan Morris:

"Hello Julian,

"Thank you for contacting Tony with your feedback! He reads every email he receives and asked me to respond on his behalf so you could receive a timely response. Tony receives over 2,000 emails each day, and has handpicked a small team to help him address some of them. He would have responded directly, but he doesn't have the hands necessary to type up 2,000 responses at the same time. We are currently working on replacing Tony's body with one from an octopus, so look for more Tony responses in the near future!

"We would be happy to send you a Zappos.com Culture Book! We've loaded one up in our Zappos mailing cannon and blasted one off to you."

Dylan provided other helpful info and even invited me to Las Vegas for a tour of their HQ. Very cool.

Today's Monday and the UPS guy showed up at my door with a package. Yes, it is the Zappos Culture Book 2008 - flown over 14,000kms in about 96 hours from the time I first sent the email. (It would usually take a two weeks to a month for such a delivery from USA to Malaysia.)

Thanks Tony and Dylan. You made my day. Now, I know why you make US$1b in annual sales.





Related links:
Tony Hsieh at Web 2.0 Summit
Zappos on ABC's Nightline
What Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh Could Teach Ford CEO About Twitter

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dylan Morris said...

Hey Julian,
Sorry this is a bit late for a response. Glad you enjoyed the Culture Book! I'm super stoked that you were WOWed by the experience you had with us. You're always welcome to write and visit us! Have a wonderful day!

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home