trinetizen

on social media, journalism, tech, design and other stuff

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi. I'm a former journalist and Malaysian correspondent to CNet, ZDnet, Newsbytes (Washington Post-Newsweek Interactive wire agency), Nikkei Electronics Asia and AsiaBizTech.com. I also previously contributed to The Star, The Edge, The New Straits Times, The New Zealand Herald and various magazines. Currently, I train and advise managers and executives on strategies to optimize their use of social media and online channels to reach customers. My company, Trinetizen Media, runs media training workshops on social media, media relations, investor relations, corporate blogging,multimedia marketing, online advertising, multimedia journalism and crisis communications. You can connect with me on Facebook , LinkedIn, Twitter or Google+.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

It's the process, stupid! Six ways to do online news

Joe Murphy points out reporters quickly lose faith in blogging, and video when the process isn't in place to keep it going.

I would add that newsrooms have to wake up to the fact they are in the 21st century. Nothing works without constant validation and encouragement - especially for the millennial generation that thrives on instant gratification and feedback, without which they get easily bored.

Six ways to engage them:

Get online breaking news stories
Write blogs
Shoot video
Record audio
Build photo galleries
Make interactive graphics

I would add:

1.Set up a clear process by which they can submit these and make sure it appears online fast.
2.Set up small project teams to build mini-sites of their own.
3.Get a blogging study circle going -- where reporters who blog meet up and encourage each other -- and set up meet-the-blogger sessions with readers.

Murphy suggests the Denver Post's finger puppets as a great idea in the vein of encouraging a new kind of interaction with readers.

MORE.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya,

Thanks for the link. You missed my point a little bit: I wasn't saying those six ways to get the newsroom involved online were ideal, good, or anywhere near adequate. I was just saying that's what we do at the place I work. I'm sure there are better ways. I know there are better ways. Part of it is reward, sure, but even more lies in newspapers figuring out just how the heck you publish local information online.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home